Monday, 9 January 2017

The '40' Challenge in 2017

I know, I know, it is a bit late for new year's resolutions. This isn't one of those, it's a personal challenge for 2017. I'm calling it the 40 40 40 challenge. In 2017 I'm planning to do the following:

Read 40 new books
Play 40 new board games
Watch 40 new films

I wanted something challenging in a fun sort of way, not some really ambitious task that will keep me really busy and under pressure at home as well as at work. Why 40? Well I think it's quite a bit more than I managed last year - I think for instance I read about 25 books last year which - but I wanted it to be not too difficult to achieve. I thought about 50 or 52, the symbolic one a week, but to be honest particularly when it comes to books I didn't want it to be that tight. With the time I have, more than one book a week is quite a tall order, and I may want to read some longer books (War and Peace perhaps?). At 40 books in a year a few longer books are achievable, at 52 books a year I don't think so.

I love board gaming, and particularly playing new games but often don't play as many new games as I'd like, so thought I'd add board games to my challenge. Then there's films, I always want to watch more films, rather than just TV boxsets, and with the '12 movie nights of Christmas' present I got from my lovely wife, I'll already be watching one new film a month so part way there. I think films will be the easiest to achieve, but we'll see.

I'll be keeping a regular log on my blog of where I'm upto with the challenge, and posting reviews for many. Here's where I'm upto so far:

Books - 0/40. Currently reading a fairly chunky fantasy book by Joe Abercrombie. Really good, but delaying getting first book under my belt.

Games 2/40. Played a couple of Christmas presents so far - Imperial Settlers and Kanagawa. Both very enjoyable, will post reviews when I've played a couple more times.

Films 2/40 - I'm not counting Kinky Boots, which I watched most of on New Year's Eve 2016. I have watched though the Charlie Chaplin film 'The Champion' from 1915, and 'The Bounty' a 1984 film starring Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins and a helluva lot of other famous actors, about the mutiny on the HMS Bounty. Reviews to follow - probably.

Anyone else, want to join in the 40 challenge? 40 new meals, new beers, new music albums to listen to?

More soon.