Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Game of Thrones Season 4 - Thoughts so far

I have been neglecting my blog of late, despite having lots to blog about so am going to try to rectify that over the next couple of weeks. Some board gaming posts coming up, but first I wanted to share my thoughts on Game of Thrones Series 4. Major spoilers coming up for the first three episodes of season 4 (episode 3 aired in US on Sunday 20th April, UK Monday 21st April).

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT  

"Switch to red alert."
"Are you sure sir, it does mean changing the bulb?"

Sorry, little off-topic quote there, not from Game of Thrones. You probably have to be in your 30s to get that old science fiction reference though!

Anyway, back to Game of Thrones.


Firstly, the first two episodes were a bit so so I thought. After the drama of the last season, I felt it started quite slow but maybe that was just me. Plus I'm watching episode by episode now rather than having a full season's boxset to consume in one go, so only getting bitesize chunks at a time which makes it a bit different. The ending of episode two really shook things up a lot with Joffrey dying and a whole whodunnit thing going on. Though if you've read the books you'll know of course. Unless they change things.

Episode Three had a lot going on, with bits of rather a lot of storylines. The most interesting of which (if you don't count Danaerys marching on yet another city, always a fun watch particularly as she's far and away the hottest female character in the series) is events in King's Landing, with a new King soon to be crowned, Tyrion standing trial for poisoning Joffrey (which he blatantly didn't do) and a rather unsettling encounter between Cersei and Jaime Lannister which looked a lot like rape. This is causing a lot of debate, not because it appeared to be rape, but because in the books it isn't rape and the context is very different. Plus it seems completely at odds with Jaime's redemption character arc. 

Anyway, on the subject of a new King, I can't quite remember what happened to Gendry, Robert Baratheon's bastard son, but I'm sure he's still around somewhere. Could he be putting in an appearance at some point? Of course I'm not sure who would support him, maybe Margaery Tyrell could marry him and they could kick out the Lannisters? Wishful thinking, I couldn't see it happening, but you can dream...

My biggest problem, after the Red Wedding, is I just don't know who to root for, certainly who to root for that can actually do anything about the Lannisters... Other than Danaerys that is, but she's across the Ocean and not looking like she'll be coming to Westeros anytime soon. 

Oh well, that's it for this week. As compelling viewing as ever, roll on the next episode.