Monday, 28 October 2013

My favourite SF author blogs

There's nothing I like more than discovering new favourite authors, but an added bonus is discovering great SF authors who blog as well. If I like an author's books, I usually find that I'm interested in what else they've got to say as well, both about their writing, science fiction and other stuff too. And it's even better if they post regularly, 'cos then I keep coming back for more. Here are some of the my favourites.

Alastair Reynolds blog, Approaching Pavonis, is a mixture of posts about his writing, science fiction, science and various other bits and pieces. He usually posts once or twice a week with interesting, well thought out pieces. He used to be a research astronomer before taking up writing full time, which means he knows what he's talking about, and he writes cracking hard SF and space opera. Oh and he's British too, like me :)

Hugh Howey hit the headlines last year when his self-published novel Wool, became a runaway success. Traditional publishers queued up to sign him up to a deal to publish Wool and its sequels, Shift & Dust. They're really amazingly good, Wool & Shift are two of the best books I've read this year. He blogs on his own website hughhowey.com, posting several times a week about his books and experiences of being a bestselling author (being hitherto self-published, Howey's clearly enjoying his new found status as a major writer and his enthusiasm is infectious).

David Brin is a veteran blogger and social media enthusiast. He posts on his blog, Contrary Brin, most days. He posts a lot about science and politics as well as occasional science fiction posts. I particularly like his 'science snippets' style posts where he links to and summarises a lot of science news and posts in journals, the blogosphere etc. Not being American, some of the American politics posts are lost on me, but still interesting.

Last but by no means least is John Scalzi. He's even more of a prolific blogger than David Brin, blogging daily on his blog 'Whatever' for many years (he's been blogging since 1998). I'It's a mixed bag of just about anything from the looks of things - I've only just started following it - but good for a daily read. And although I've only read a couple of his books so far I really like his writing, so his blogs shouldn't be any different.

If I find any more good sci-fi author blogs I'll post them here, and if anyone has any they can recommend do let me know.