Friday, 31 May 2013

Off on holiday!

I'm off on holiday today, I've now got 10 days off work, and a week in a country cottage in Shropshire. I'm sure my four year old daughter won't let me read that much, but I'm hoping to get a bit more reading in than I normally do. No internet to distract me, apart from anything I call up on my phone. I'm leaving work and other work-like projects completely behind too, which will be really nice.



I'm currently reading 'Way Station' by Clifford D. Simak, a classic from the 1950s, set in backwoods America about a rural man who secretly runs an inter-galactic 'Way Station' for travellers from the stars who are passing through. Someone from the American intelligence agency discovers something suspicious is going on, as the man hasn't aged in over a century... It is described as 'pastoral sf', along with most of Simak's other works. Is good so far!

The other book I'm hoping to read is 'Redemption Ark' by Alastair Reynolds. It's the sequel to 'Revelation Space', and really ramps up the story as humanity is at risk of extinction from the return of the Inhibitors. I've got a few other things on my Kindle too, in case I finish those.

Also working on an author guide to Peter F. Hamilton's books - nearly done but that will have to wait until I get back.